No-Fuss Vegan Pancakes
Pancake Day, the greatest of all days!
When I went vegan, the first concern my Mum had was for my breakfast needs:
“You love pancakes!” she exclaimed. “And chocolate croissants!”
I can understand her horror at the future of a pancake-less existence. No one wants to accept a diminished breakfast landscape, so one of the first things I did on making the decision to go vegan was to relearn the art of pancake making.
This recipe is kickass for two reasons: firstly, it is the simplest thing I have ever made in my life. You cannot fuck this up – I promise. Secondly, it tastes just as good as any dairy pancake i’ve ever had, if not better.
I recently invested in a small pancake pan, which also made the whole process much less stressful. Gone are the years of flipping pancakes in a too-large pan, flopping them onto the floor in a too-thin mess. Now, they’re all fluffy and small and stackable. Perfection.
Yield: 6 pancakes
120g plain white flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tablespoon maple syrup
300ml soy or almond milk
Dark chocolate chips
1. Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt together in a medium-sized bowl.
2. Add the maple syrup, soy milk and vanilla extract. Whisk that mix until it’s silky smooth.
3. Warm some vegan butter in the pan and pour in your pancake mix.
4. Cook on a medium-low heat for a few minutes on each side, making sure it doesn’t stick by giving the pan an occasional shake.
5. Keep the stack warmed in the oven and, when ready, top with whatever the fuck you want. We went for blueberries, banana and choc chips.
Recipe inspired by Popsugar